Tuesday, November 30, 2010

About those bees...

So you may recall a post a while ago about the bee infested umbrella that Babcia requested someone take down for her. (If you don't recall, may I suggest you click here to refresh your memory first). So lucky for my grandmother, my friend Andrew was brave enough to put the umbrella down and put it under the sunroom for the winter, and face the bees head on.

Now, bring us to months later...It is now Thanksgiving Day and Babcia has baked some delish looking Pumpkin pies and an Apple pie to bring to my Aunt's house for Thanksgiving Dinner. Babcia makes the treacherous journey to the basement, underneath the sunroom to fetch her pie baskets and brings it up. She opens the pie basket in the kitchen and there's a BEE in the basket! (Bees alive now? It's almost flippin' December!) So she hits the bee (she said she did that to "stun the bee") and then she gets a paper towel to finish the deed. Shortly after the bee has met it's demise, she says:
"I think that bee bit me! They're out to get me."
You have to understand... Babcia got stung on the ear the week before when she was at Stop&Shop and her ear lobe blew up 3x the size of the other one.

So being the good pharmacy student I am, I once again recommended a MULTITUDE of remedies for bee stings, such as ice cubes, a paste of baking soda and water, and even toothpaste. (NONE of which she wanted to take last time she was stung)

It took her until we actually got to Thanksgiving dinner and her hand was so swollen that you couldn't see the knuckles anymore that she finally allowed me to make a concoction of baking soda and water which helped her immensely.
That is an impressive frowny face... Poor thing!
Two days later, her hand was finally back to normal. I just had to share this picture because she looks too pathetic and sad. :( She's all better now though! And everyone loved the pies!

Epi-Pens (again) and Baking Soda,
Justine

No comments:

Post a Comment